Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Curriculum Ideas

I've been doing a lot of research and getting pretty overwhelmed by all the curriculum choices.  Initially, I thought I would just make Merrick's kindergarten year about reading, math, and writing, and then do some unit studies for some fun learning.  Now, the more I learn about what other people are doing, I feel concerned that Merrick has the potential (and probably the desire) to learn much more. 

Here are some of the curriculum options I really like for kindergarten through first grade:

Math - Sinapore Math - this is an activity based math program.  I like the idea of using an Asian math program since every single one of my math TA's in college were Asian. 

Right Start Math - another option to check out.

Science - R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey - meant for 1st - 4th graders.  Also hands-on projects to learn science.  The 3 books (which provide studies for a year) are Life, Earth & Science, and Chemistry.

Reading - Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons - we already started this but have not gotten very far.  We haven't been consistent because Merrick gets easily distracted when we go through a lesson.  It bores him a little, I think, because we started at the beginning and he is already beyond that level of reading.  I'm going to give a little while longer to see if he gets more into it as it gets more challenging.  I really like this book because all you have to do is read through the lessons with your child.  It's all right in front of you. 

The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading - this is my backup plan.  Written by Jessie Wise, who is considered the mother of classical education.

Explode the Code - another option to check out.

Handwriting - Handwriting Without Tears

Spelling - All About Spelling - something to check out.  Apparently, it's good to start working on spelling as soon as you start learning to read.

History - The Story of the World, CC timeline?

Art - Artistic Pursuits - this book looks really cool!

Bible - TBD - I want to have a daily bible study with Merrick, preferrably first thing in the morning.  The book I just bought him might be a good option for now (it has a short bible story and even an activity to do with each lesson).  Eventually, however, I'd like to make sure I'm not just teaching him good things from the Bible, but teaching him to memorize the order of the books, the storylines, etc.

Geography - TBD...Gotta look up more resources on this.  If we went the Classical Conversations route, this would be included.  I'd like Merrick to be able to write out the names of all 50 states on a blank map, as well as the major countries in Europe, etc.

I feel like I've made some headway these past couple of days in deciding what direction we should take.  It still feels a little overwhelming and confusing, however.  I've prayed that God would make the direction we take clear, and I feel like I'm waiting for a big gong to go off once I stumble across the answer.

I'd like to be able to make a decision soon so that I can have a schedule and lesson plans in order way before we begin.  I don't want to be deciding what to do the day before and running out to the store to buy supplies. 

Despite the confusion and being slightly overwhelmed, this is all extremely exciting.  I am so grateful and thrilled that I have the option to teach my own child.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Leslie! I am excited to what we can do for Merrick's education...and for a the twins as well. More and more, I am convinced that Homes Cool is the way to go for us! Love you and proud of all the research and diligent effort to make this the best for Merrick and our family. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog off the WTM forum...loved looking at your ideas. I'm homeschooling for the 1st time next year, as well, but for 2nd grade twins and a preschooler. It's an exciting journey...I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete